February 27, 2010

Ok. So, I'm about to get real with you. Like, really real. What I'm about to tell you is my ultimate LOW of treasure hunting. I have never done something this... low before. I really can't come up with a better word for it. It was bad, and the bigger problem, you might ask? I'M PROUD OF IT. Yeah. You'll see what I mean, but I definitely will need to know if I'm the worst person in the world or if I have some what of a reason to be proud of my conniving ways.

So heres what happens. I go to Goodwill yesterday, where I got a lot of fun stuff, which I'll show you later, but I bump into this absolutely ADORABLE antique desk, with no real comestic damage, just needs a paint job and some wood filler. For $35!!! And then I notice right next to it, this absolutely precious wooden high chair. Look - isn't it SO CUTE?? It needs a paint job too, but it is so cute!
And thats $15!!! So I tell myself, " Self, you don't need both. Just get the highchair. Its $20 cheaper and even though you don't have a baby, aren't pregnant, you should clearly buy the highchair." COMPLETE logic, right? Ugh. So I do. I buy the high chair. And I'm glad I did. Cause its cute. And hopefully one day I'll have a cute little kid to put in my cute little high chair.

Anyway, I leave Goodwill, drive the 15 minutes to get to the gym on base, get on the elliptical and get my work out on. I had gone exactly 1.29 miles when it dawns on me. WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING??? If I had seen that little antique desk for $35 on Craigslist I'd be all over it like white on rice - so WHY in the WORLD did I not buy it??? It took me about 0.04 of a mile to figure out I was an idiot and I hopped off, ran out the door and jumped into my car. If you've ever driven on a base before, you will know the EXCRUCIATING slow speed limits you are forced to abide by. And they'll getcha if you're just a couple over too. Anyway, I make it out of base and floor up Air Depot Road, praying, no PLEADING with God to let it still be there. I have my seatbelt unbuckled and I fly into Goodwill the second I pull into the parking lot - run to the back of the store and come to a halt. There is a lady, WITH A CHILD, (I not only wronged another human being but I wronged a child as well) standing in front of MY DESK. I immediately duck into the book sections and make it look like I'm the most interested person in children's books there ever was, the entire time staring her down. And then I watch her, as she proceeds to then get on her cellphone and hear her say, "Yeah, its really cute. All wood.... Do you want me to wait here and you can come look at it?" I'm assuming she's talking to her husband and I start to panic. Desperation overwhelms me. And then I do it.

I go to the front of the store - AND I BUY THE DESK!!!! Right out from under her nose!!!! The cashier lady already knew me from my multiple purchases the 1/2 hr prior, knew I had a discount card and knew exactly what desk I wanted when I told her I wanted to buy the $35 desk in the back. So she rang me up right there and printed me off a SOLD sign, gave it to me and told me to go put it on the piece. OH. MY. GOODNESS. I am a horrible horrible person.

I proceed to walk back and she's still on the phone. I bend down next to the desk and whisper, "Excuse me" and she turns around to see me putting it on. And then she says into the phone, "Oh, welp, nevermind - its sold." And then I go on to APOLOGIZE to her. Not only do I steal from people but I LIE as well. I wasn't sorry!! I was ecstatic!!!

And here is my prize. Isn't she so precious? Do you see why I don't feel bad? I know the exact spot I want to put her in our home.
So that is my story. I hope you don't hate me and quit reading.:) I will have some fun finds for you later!

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic confession!!! I love it. Thrifting is a ruthless sport and there's no room for the weak and slow. Lol. It's super adorable and an incredible deal. Well played my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tsk...tsk...tsk...(*shaking my head*)...There are no words... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL what a story!! What a mad dash!! LOL. Glad you got your desk! SCORE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I forgot the question ... in question (!): we are getting married this August (!) and JUST started planning. 6 months - talk about another mad dash ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! Anna, this cracked me up! And don't feel bad. You knew what you wanted, she was unsure. You won!

    PS - made your marinara sauce tonight. OMG...soooooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! So glad you loved it - ITS SO YUMMY.

    Um, yeah, yeah mad dash wedding planning is the way to go in my opinion! I did mine in 6 weeks!!! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg that is awesome!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete